Pregnancy, especially in the last trimester, puts a great deal of strain on a women’s body. Between loosening of the joints and ligaments as birth approaches, changes in posture due to a protruding belly, and the weight of the growing baby and the surrounding fluids, it is easy to see why many pregnant women suffer from back, hip, and leg pain. Receiving chiropractic treatment can help alleviate some of these issues, and in most instances, it is completely safe for both the mother and baby.
More than just remedying the aches and pains of pregnancy, routine chiropractic care during pregnancy offers other benefits for both the mother and baby.
5 Benefits of Chiropractic Care for Babies and Their Mothers, During Pregnancy
The Webster Technique, developed by Larry Webster, the founder of the International Chiropractic Pediatric Association (ICPA), is used to maintain balance in a pregnant woman’s body. This balance reduces strain on the pelvis, spine, and ligaments and offers the following benefits.
- Pain Reduction — while no chiropractor can promise to alleviate all of the pain of pregnancy, correcting or preventing spine misalignment due to the growing fetus can reduce back pain during the pregnancy, during labor, and after birth.
- Keeping the Baby in the Optimal Birthing Position — the bodily changes during pregnancy can cause a misalignment of the pelvis. If the pelvis is in the wrong position, the baby may be too. A chiropractor can help return the pelvis to the correct alignment, reducing the chances of the baby being in a breech or posterior position when labor begins.
- Prevent Intrauterine Constraint — a misaligned pelvis or spine may reduce the amount of space for the growing baby. This may lead to premature birth or difficult births.
- Easier Labor and Delivery — again, no one can promise you a painless journey through labor and delivery, but maintaining alignment of the spine and pelvis will make the process easier for both the mother and child.
- Use at Home Techniques — the chiropractor can show you stretches and movements that you can do at home to reduce discomfort and relax your muscles through pregnancy and during labor.
Talk To Your OB/GYN Before Scheduling a Chiropractor Appointment
For most women, chiropractic treatments during pregnancy are completely safe. However, there are some conditions that may make it unwise to begin spinal adjustments. These include:
- Unexplained vaginal bleeding
- Problems with the placenta like previa or abruption
- An ectopic pregnancy
- Moderate to severe toxemia
If you have any of these conditions or any other concerns, talk to your OB/GYN to determine if chiropractic care during pregnancy is safe for you.
Chiropractic Care During Pregnancy at Spring Mountain Medical
At Spring Mountain Medical, we have a staff of fully accredited and highly skilled chiropractors that can help both you and your baby be comfortable and healthy throughout your pregnancy. If you live in the Pahrump area and want to know more about how chiropractic care can benefit both you and your unborn child, contact us at Spring Mountain Medical. We can answer your questions and, if you choose to, set up an appointment for your first consultation.